Preparing for Advising Meetings
To ensure high-quality advising and make the best use of your advising time, use the resources below to plan your program and prepare for advising meetings. Please be aware that if you have not completed these steps, your advising meeting may be rescheduled.
1) UPDATE YOUR MAJOR REQUIREMENTS FORM.
- First, if you don’t have a copy, download and print the appropriate major requirements form, ENVS or ESCI.
- Review the requirements, highlight classes that look interesting, use the tip sheet to find class and the course catalog and/or online syllabi to learn more about these classes. See also the posted course descriptions on the Undergraduate Courses page.
- If you have a major requirements form from a previous advising meeting, just update it by checking off classes you have completed and bring it to your next meeting.
2) TAKE A LOOK AT THE APPROPRIATE TIP SHEET.
- Every term we develop tip sheets that list all the courses that will be offered the following term that will fulfill the requirements for Environmental Studies and Environmental Science majors. Look for the tip sheets on our website one week before registration for the next term.
- Tip sheets are posted under the Undergraduate page, under the Advising tab in the left-hand toolbar, it will say “Course Tip Sheets”. If you don’t have a copy, download and print the appropriate tip sheet.
- Using the major requirements form and the tip sheets, make note of the courses you would like to take.
3) TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR DEGREE AUDIT REPORT ON DUCKWEB.
- We are making an effort to find all the ‘bugs’ in the degree audit reporting system for our majors, so if you find a problem or discrepancy on your degree audit, make a note of it and bring it with you to your meeting. You can also report degree audit errors to the Student Advisers in 144 Columbia Hall.
4) MAKE AN ADVISING APPOINTMENT.
- You may now schedule an advising appointment through the Student Success Collaborative page https://uo.campus.eab.com/home. Your adviser’s advising hours will be shown when you go to sign up for an appointment.
- Important Note: All majors are required to meet with their adviser during the first term of the year you plan to graduate. This gives us an opportunity to confirm your progress toward your degree and discuss career plans.
5) ASSEMBLE MATERIALS
You are responsible for keeping track of your progress and making sure that all your requirements are completed. We recommend you check your Degree Audit Report at least once a term and make a file of the documents discussed above (Major Requirements Form, and your questions) to keep track of your progress.
You should bring this file, as well as paper and a pencil/pen, to every advising meeting.
Both ENVS and ESCI majors are automatically enrolled to our esundergrads listserv which provides critical information regarding the major. You should read these emails!
You also have the option to enroll in econews. This is a great resource to learn about internships, jobs, scholarships, relevant lectures, seminars, conferences, community events and other environmentally-related news. You can sign up for Econews by contacting a Student Adviser in the ENVS Program Office (144 Columbia Hall).
Find answers to the most frequently asked questions about the Environmental Studies Program and other advising questions. Also see our Resources for Undergraduates page for additional resources to assist you in course and career planning.