Resources for Undergraduate Students
1) On Campus Student Environmental Organizations
2) Local Volunteer Opportunities
3) Scholarship and Research Grants Opportunities
4) Research Libraries
6) University Academic Resources
7) UO Students Basic Needs Resources
8) Career Listings
*if you see anything missing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org*
1) On Campus Student Environmental Organizations & Events:
Holistic Options for Planet Earth Sustainability Conference: Annual student-run events with discussion on ecology and design. Weekly planning meetings are open to students (Wed. at 5:15 in Lawrence 286)
Cascadia Action Network: C.A.N is the empowered new generation dedicated to environmental and social justice. We work to create impactful and intersectional environmental change through direct action on our campus and in our community.
Coalition Against Environmental Racism: CAER is a student organization committed to bridging the gap between the struggle for social and environmental equality. Meetings are held at 3pm on Friday in the EMU Multicultural Center.
Center for the Advancement of Sustainable Living: home for learning about sustainable design.
Climate Justice League: The heart of climate justice is the understanding that the urgent action needed to prevent climate change must be based on community-led solutions and the well-being of local communities, Indigenous Peoples, and the global poor, as well as biodiversity and intact ecosystems. Club meetings are held in Gerlinger 248 on Tuesdays.
E v e r B l u e: learning ~ sharing ~ changing. Empowering ocean-minded lifestyles by learning about marine research, sharing that knowledge, and changing our actions.
Outdoor Program: Student-led outdoor trips, bike classes, bike repairs, and gear rentals.
Oregon Student Public Interest Research Group (OSPIRG): Student led and student funded nonprofit that works on campaigns that affect all people in Oregon. Chapter meetings are in Condon 201, every Thursday at 7pm.
Public-Interest Environmental Law Conference: Annual 4-day conference held at the UO Law school offering conferences and key notes speakers. Cost is free. This year’s conference: “Local Character, Global Vision” will be held on March 1-March 4th, 2018.
Radical Organizing and Activism Resource (R.O.A.R.) Center: A space and resource for student led projects at the intersection of social justice and environmental activism. Located in the EMU, it is open daily, as well as weekly organizers meetings.
Urban Farm: An outdoor classroom teaching urban farming techniques! LA 390 is the class title for Urban Farm.
Student Sustainability Center: Located in the EMU, the sustainability center is open to student sustainable initiatives. It also houses a seed library, and is involved in the Grove community garden where UO students can get an annual gardening plot for $25 fee.
Student Sustainability Network (SSN) “UO student groups and programs working toward social, economic, and environmental sustainability. Get connected with one or more of these groups or join the Facebook group to get involved.”
Envision Journalism: Student run publication with a mission to “give people the information they need to live healthy, greener lives”.
Net Impact:An international non-profit organization for students and professionals interested in combining sustainability strategies with business. 2017-2018 club meetings are on Thursdays at 6 pm in Anstett 195.
Zero Waste: campus service working to eliminate waste and create waste reduction initiatives such a Greeks Go Green. Zero Waste also offers campus jobs.
2) Local Volunteer Opportunities
Updated Forms: Due May 7th, 2018 at 4:30 PM
-Alice and Arnold Soderwall Community Scholarship
6) University Academic Resources
The University of Oregon recognizes that student success is impacted by unmet basic needs such as food security and housing security. The campus and community resources in this Guide are intended to support your well-being so that you can meet your academic goals!
- UO Career Center – Career & Employment Resources
- Academic 360.com – another great resource for academic employment. Search either geographically or alphabetically.
- Academic Position Network – thinking about a career in academia? Try this searchable database.
- American Fisheries Society Employment Resources – lots of good water-based and general job listings.
- CareerBuilder.com – search major newspaper listings for employment opportunities.
- Chemistry and Industry Magazine – search the science and business employment database.
- Conservation Job Board — profiles the latest jobs in the fields related to conservation including forestry, wildlife biology, fisheries, ecology, wetlands, marine science, environmental policy, environmental education, park management and more.
- Conservation Jobs in the UK – Conservation job listings in the UK and Ireland.
- Cyber-Sierra’s Natural Resources Job Search – many good job links here.
- Earthworks Jobs – jobs related to the earth sciences.
- EcoBusiness Jobs – links to additional search engines.
- Eco Employ – special job opportunities.
- EHSCareers.com is the leading online job board for environmental, occupational health & safety professionals and currently we list over 430 active EH&S job openings.
- EnviroLink Network – private and government positions organized by category of interest.
- Environmental Career Opportunities – jobs, internships, and degree programs.
- Environmental Jobs.com – lots of listings for jobs from biology to policy to education.
- Fifty Careers in Trees – lists opportunities to work with trees.
- GIS Jobs Clearinghouse – GIS job listings maintained by the University of Minnesota.
- Green Jobs Network – data base of environmentally related jobs
- GreenJobsReady.com – information about careers and job opportunities in the renewable energy field.
- LearnHowtoBecome.org – information about choosing a career path and job opportunity search engine.
- The Monster Board – large database for searching over 50,000 jobs.
- PBS Environmental – providing a wide range of consulting, training and testing services throughout the Northwest since 1982 with offices in Portland, Bend and Eugene, Oregon; Seattle, Richland and Vancouver, Washington.
- The Peace and Collaborative Development Network PCDN – world’s top meta list of job sites and resources in social change
- Science Careers – large database, searchable by discipline, region, position, etc.
- Society for Ecological Restoration Career Center – links to various professional and government job listings.
- Society of Wetland Scientists – Wetland Jobs – wetland-related jobs, what else?
- ZipRecruiter Search for jobs in your area!
- Living Science Web (USDA) – food, agricultural, and natural resource system careers.
- USA Jobs – official govt. site for jobs and employment information provided by the Office of Personnel Management. Available for all federal agencies.
- Peace Corps – “the toughest job you’ll ever love!”
- American Conservation Experience – non-profit youth conservation corps dedicated to providing service learning opportunities for emerging land managers and conservation-minded volunteers in culturally diverse and naturally inspiring settings.
- Idealist.org – non-profit jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities.
- Environmental Defense Fund – full-time and part-time jobs listed by city, internships too!
- Global Volunteer Network – volunteer on environmental projects in Ecuador, New Zealand, and Thailand.
- Greenforce – runs biodiversity surveys in international countries, with assistance from host universities.
- National Wildlife Federation Conservation Career Gateway – devoted to the conservation of wildlife.
- RARE (Resource Assistance for Rural Environments) Program – live and work in rural Oregon’s resource-dependent communities, helping to improve economic and environmental conditions.
- Student Conservation Association – careers in renewable energy industries.
- VolunteerMatch – Volunteer listings and opportunities in your local area.
- American Council on Science and Health
- American Fisheries Society
- American Geosciences Institute
- American Institute of Hydrology
- American Society for Environmental History
- Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
- Ecological Society of America
- Entomological Society of America
- Environmental Assessment Association
- Environmental Management Association
- Organic Trade Association
- National Association of Environmental Professionals
- National Environmental Education Foundation
- National Environmental Health Association
- Renewable Natural Resources Foundation
- Sierra Club
- Society for Ecological Restoration
- Society for Environmental Geochemistry and Health
- Society for Human Ecology
- Society of Environmental Journalists
- Society of Northwestern Vertebrate Biology
- Society of Wetland Scientists – Wetland Jobs
- Soil and Water Conservation Society
- The Wildlife Society
- The World Directory of Environmental Professional Associations, Organizations and Societies
- Women in Environment PNW
- The Back Door Guide to Short-Term Job Adventures
- Eco-Tourism Career Guide
- Environmental Career Guide
- Environmental Careers Resource Guide (EPA)
- Green Energy Career Guide
- Outdoor Action Guide to Outdoor/Environmental Careers – maintained by Princeton University.
- Affordable Colleges Online
- *Disclaimer: We provide these links as a courtesy but we do not investigate them. Always use careful judgement when using online resources.