The UO Career Center is a wonderful resource for students interested in internships, job openings, and other career development opportunities. Their website has information on careers, job search strategies, salaries, networking, and many more career oriented resources. General questions can be answered by the Environmental Studies Peer Mentors in 144 Columbia Hall. Also contact the ENVS Peer Mentors (email@example.com) if you’d like to receive Econews emails regarding job openings.
UO Career Center
Hours: M-F 8:30-5:00
Brittany McFall (ENVS & ESCI – Academic and Career Adviser)
Hours: by appointment only
144 Columbia Hall
Volunteer positions, internships, and jobs are all distinct forms of career development positions. Each type of position has various goals, skill requirements, levels of commitment, and pay rates.
- Goal: Gain experience and exposure to an organization or field
- Required skills: Minimal to none
- Level of commitment: Minimal; left up to the discretion of the volunteer
- Pay rate: None
- Goal: Gain extensive work experience in a chosen field
- Required skills: Certain skills, oftentimes gained through coursework or volunteer work, are oftentimes required
- Level of commitment: Committed period of time
- Pay rate: None to paid; other benefits such as stipends, housing, access to resources, and career development are oftentimes used as compensation.
- Goal: Gain entry to or further develop career path
- Required skills: Specified skills aligned with job requirements and pay scale
- Level of commitment: High – professional level positions require extensive time requirements with a minimum of a 2 week notice for termination
- Pay rate: Adjusted by industry, position, education level, and skill/experience level
Professional associations are usually nonprofit organizations that are seeking to further a particular profession, the interests of individuals engaged in that profession, and the public interest.
Environmental Professional Associations
- Air and Waste Management Association (AWMA):
- American Fisheries Society
- American Water Works Association (AWWA)
- Composting Council of Canada
- Ecological Society of America
- Association of Women in Environmental Professions (AWEP)
- Local Government Environmental Assistance Network (LGEAN)
- National Association of Environmental Professionals (NAEP)
- National Association of Local Government Environmental Professionals (NALGEP)
- Northwest Association of Environmental Professionals (NWAEP)
- Oregon Association of Environmental Professionals
- Society for Conservation Biology (SCB)
- Society of Wetland Scientists
- What Can I do with a Major in Environmental Studies or Environmental Science: From the Career Services Office at the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, North Carolina. Includes “a representative sample of job titles of [UNCW] graduates with an environmental science or environmental studies major.”
- College Majors and Career Opportunities — Environmental Science: Lists related occupations and types of employers. From Career Services, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Environmental Studies: Lists potential job titles and related skills. From the University Career and Employment Services at the University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas.
- Outdoor Action Guide to Outdoor and Environmental Careers: Authored by Rick Curtis, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey. Describes outdoor and environmental careers and lists related job titles and potential employers.
- Environmental Studies: What Can I do with this Major?:Outlines common career areas, identifies typical employers, and suggests general strategies to enhance employability. From Career Services at the University of Tennessee.
- Cyber-Sierra’s Natural Resources Job Search: Contains links to job-related resources.
- EE Jobs Database: From the North American Association of Environmental Educators.
- Employment Opportunities: From the Ecological Society of America.
- Environmental Jobs and Careers: “E Jobs links to environmental opportunities in the USA and Canada.” See also Environmental Jobs in Oregon.
- Find Jobs: From Idealist.org. Database of nonprofit jobs that can be searched by relevant topic (environment).
- Northwest Association of Environmental Professionals Job Board
- Student Conservation Association:Conservation Internships, Full-Time Employment, Seasonal.
- League of Oregon Cities: Intern Placement and Referral Service
Environmental Studies and Environmental Science majors can find employment in a wide range of fields depending on their skills and experience. Places of employment include: city, state, and federal government agencies; environmental nonprofit organizations; environmental advocacy organizations; and businesses (including environmental consulting firms, construction companies, and law firms).
The following list of employers and job titles was derived from various job databases. This list does not reflect all potential places of employment and it does not reflect current openings. This list is only to be used as a way to focus job searches and give students a general idea of the types of employment opportunities that are available to them.
- ABR, Inc.: Watershed Scientist/Hydrologist, Wildlife Technicians
- Alaskan Observers: Domestic Fisheries Observer
- AMEC Earth & Environmental, Inc.: Environmental Scientist, Project Manager, Staff Engineer
- Audubon Society of Portland: Assistant Camp Director, Environmental Education SPRING Internship, Environmental Educator
- Benton County: Environmental Health Specialist 2
- Chicago Botanic Garden: Conservation and Land Management Fellowship Program
- City of Gresham, Bureau of Environmental Services, GREAT Business Program: Program Technician
- City of Hillsboro: Natural Resources Manager, Water Intergovernmental Relation Manager, Project Manager II – Sustainability
- City of Portland: Environmental Specialist
- City of Salem: Natural Area Specialist, Water Resources Outreach Assistant (Seasonal)
- Clackamas County: Laboratory Analyst
- Climate Trust, The: Research Associate, Environmental Internship, Marketing and Communications Manager
- Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life: Environmental Programs Intern, Washington Program Director
- Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission: Project Implementation Coordinator, GIS Specialist
- Cowlitz County: Environmental Health Specialist 1 or 2
- Entrix, Inc.: Agricultural or Resource Economists, Senior Consultant, Senior Economist & Project Manager
- Environmental Careers Organization (ECO): Botany/GIS Assistant, Botany/Natural Fuels Management Internship, Forestry Technician, Fisheries/Biology Assistant, Fire Rehabilitation Assistant, GIS Technician, Natural Resources Monitors/Botanist
- Environmental Laboratory Services
- Environmental Management Systems, Inc.: Environmental Health Specialist
- Eugene Water & Electric Board: Environmental Associate
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission: Environmental Protection Specialist
- Friends of Trees: Community Outreach Intern, Natural Area Restoration Intern, Neighborhood Trees Intern, Trail Maintenance Team Lead,
- Friends of Tryon Creek State Park: Naturalist Intern
- Glen Helen Ecology Institute: Naturalist Intern
- Green Corps: Environmental Leadership Training Program
- Green Empowerment: Program Manager – Asia
- Green Mountain Energy: Wind Energy Sales
- HDR Engineering: Environmental Monitor
- Integral Consulting, Inc.: Environmental Scientist
- Intel Corporation: R&D Manufacturing Technician
- Mason, Bruce, and Girard: Field Technician
- Maul Foster & Alongi, Inc.: Mid-Level Environmental Scientist/Data manager
- Minnesota Conservation Corps: AmeriCorps Crew Leader, AmeriCorps Crew Member
- Natural Resources Conservation Service: Cartographic Technician
- North Santiam Watershed Council: Education and Outreach Coordinator
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ): Water Quality Monitoring Specialist, Industrial Waste Engineer, Senior Environmental Engineer, Environmental Trainee/Internships, Environmental Partnership Community Specialist, Beach Water Quality Monitoring Technician, Voluntary Cleanup Technical Support Specialist, Air Quality Planner, Remedial Action Project Manager, Senior hazardous Waste Specialist, Natural Resource Specialist for Air Quality Section in the Western Region’s Salem Office
- Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife: Environmental Biology Aide, Field Research Assistant, District Wildlife Technician, Assistant Manager Fish and Wildlife Technician 2, Fisheries Research Project Leader, Natural Resources Specialists
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI): Outdoor Science Instructor
- Oregon State University: Faculty Research Assistants, Academic Advisor (Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife), Watershed Management (Extension Faculty)
- Oregon Trout: Fish Refuge Program Coordinator
- Orion Grassroots Network: Environmental Internships, Wilderness Advocate Intern,
- Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission: Natural Resource Data Analyst, Research Technician
- Pollution Prevention Resources Center (PPRC): Technical Lead for Oregon Programs
- Port of Portland: Environmental Project Manager II
- Professional Services Industries, Inc. (PSI): Manager-in-Training/Staff Engineer
- Puget Sound Naval Shipyard: Physical Science Technician
- SAIF: Corporation: Industrial Hygiene Technician
- Save Our Wild Salmon Coalition: Grassroots & Outreach Intern
- Student Conservation Association (SCA): Taos Field Office Internships, Lead and Outdoor Summer High School Crew Internship, Unilever/SCA Internship Program, Native Plant Corps Intern
- Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District: School Program Instructor, Eco Quest Instructor, Nature Camp Instructors, Park Ranger
- Tualatin Riverkeepers: Nature Camp Assistant
- The Nature Conservancy: Conservation Planning & Tools Specialist
- US Bureau of Land Management: Forestry Technician, Forester, Aviation Management Specialist, Biological Technician, Resource Educator(s), Wildland Firefighter Apprenticeship Program
- US Fish and Wildlife Service: Wildlife Education Specialist, Outreach and Environmental Education Specialist
- USDA Forest Service: Forestry Technician/Biological Science Technician, Postdoctoral Scientist in Integrated Dynamic Landscape and Coho Salmon Modeling
- Washington County: Watermaster
- Wild Salmon Center: Archival/Information Management Intern, Slide Archivist Intern, Sustainable Fisheries and Markets Program Associate
- Weyerhaeuser Company: Slope Stability Geologist